Re[2]: Linux taking over at Oracle

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 06:03:28 -0800

Jonathan,

    I remember reading an article in Oracle Magazine about a year to year & a half ago, where Uncle Larry was prostelatizing us to create one large database vs. having lots of small ones. So the screw turns once more!! Also I remember Oracle being torqued at RedHat some time ago & find that 9i is NOT certified on RedHat. Guess that will change! Also, for those who remember, Uncle Larry did predict that the "database would replace the operating system" some years ago. Funny how these ideas change, don't materialize, or have other problems that prevent them becoming reality. But then I guess that's what you get trying to read a foggy crystal ball!! :-)

    My problem with all of this is that he's pointing us towards cheaper computers and operating systems, but will the cost of Oracle itself follow?? I doubt it. Which puts a pile of us in a rather sticky position. How do you justify $40K for Oracle on a $10K computer with a $0 OS?

    My brain hurts.

Dick Goulet

BTW: Uncle Larry torqued off Apple (MacOS) some years ago when he dropped support for it all together.

Author: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date:       1/31/2002 6:35 PM

Interesting news. Makes me wonder though. Remember when Oracle moved to support client-server computing? Now Larry derides client-server and distributed computing saying that it's cheaper to have just one big system. How many times have you heard Larry talk about how Oracle's consolidated their email servers? Makes me wonder whether five years down the road Larry will be telling us that it's "silly to run a database on 50 cheap boxes" because it's much easier to administer one big one.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick
mailto:jonathan_at_gennick.com * 906.387.1698 http://Gennick.com * http://MichiganWaterfalls.com * http://ValleySpur.com

Thursday, January 31, 2002, 2:36:21 PM, you wrote: AMG0> Ellison says Oracle's 'whole business' to run on Linux

AMG0> The Oracle chairman and CEO said the company will replace three Unix
AMG0> servers
AMG0> that run the bulk of its business applications with a cluster of Intel
AMG0> Corp.
AMG0> servers running Linux.

AMG0> http://computerworld.com/nlt/1%2C3590%2CNAV47_STO67867_NLTAM%2C00.html

Author: Jonathan Gennick
  INET: jonathan_at_gennick.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Feb 01 2002 - 08:03:28 CST