RE: Oracle shadow process

From: Johnston, Tim <TJohnston_at_quallaby.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:47:29 -0800

The problem is that top reports the ENTIRE shared memory segment in EVERY process... For example... If your shared memory segment is 300M and top reports memory usage of 320-340M per process... You are in reality using about 20-40M of private memory in each process and 300M of shared memory... But, shared memory is only allocated once...

i.e.

Shared memory segment of 300M

             top reports    shared memory  private usage by process
process1     320M               300M                20M
process2     330M               300M                30M
process3     320M               300M                20M
process4     340M               300M                40M

So... Your total memory usage is...

20M + 30M + 20M + 40M + 300M = 410M

Not...

320M + 330M + 320M + 340M = 1310M

Does that help explain it?

Tim

Author: sonia pajerowski
  INET: spajerowski_at_yahoo.com

Author: Johnston, Tim
  INET: TJohnston_at_quallaby.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jan 30 2002 - 16:47:29 CST