Standby database foible

From: Steve McClure <smcclure_at_usscript.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:08:39 -0800

Allright listers,

I have been experimenting with creating a standby database for our production server. After moving all the required files files, configuring the init files, and initiating recovery on the standby instance, I saw the following error.
01547:warning RECOVER succeeded but OPEN RESETLOGS would get error below. 01152:file 1 was not restored from a sufficiently old backup

So apparently I mucked up my SYSTEM tablespace somehow in the interim. Here are the steps I followed. I am curious where I went wrong.

I twice started to bring up the standby database. both times I was able to issue 'startup nomount'. The first time I attempted to mount the standby database I was greeted with a message that the control file I was pointing to was not a standby control file. I had used the control file from my hot backup, instead of following my instructions. So shutdown the DB 'shutdown normal', and created a standby control file, copied it to the three control file locations on my standby box, and started again. 'startup nomount' went as expected, then I mounted the DB in stanby mode, and then issued the recover command. Upon this completing, I was greeted with the warning I quoted above.

In writing this I am pretty sure that I screwed myself up by issuing a 'shutdown normal' after my first mount attempt failed, but I figured I would go ahead and send this off to the list anyway.

Author: Steve McClure
  INET: smcclure_at_usscript.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jan 24 2002 - 12:08:39 CST