RE: The OCP bar is being raised

From: Kimberly Smith <ksmith2_at_myfirstlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:44:16 -0800

<SPAN
class=231493101-11012002>Actually it is improved.  First off they really have not changed all that much.  They added an exam.  And its an exam
where
you actually have to do stuff is my understanding.  That is a good thing.  As for the OCA.  Even that is not a new
concept.  They always had a certified operator that was one exam.  Now its called something different and its two <SPAN
class=231493101-11012002>exams.  But now you can actually use those exams to go to the next level if you want.
<SPAN
class=231493101-11012002>
All
they need to do is improve on the quality of the testing to ensure that idiots cannot pass it.  However, you also should not
have to be a senior DBA to pass it.  A good solid DBA should be able to pass it easily.  That is what it should test <SPAN
class=231493101-11012002>for.

<FONT face=Tahoma

  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com   [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Bowes, ChrisSent:   Thursday, January 10, 2002 8:09 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list   ORACLE-LSubject: RE: The OCP bar is being   raised
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

  size=2>Wait a minute.  I never said it was bad for companies to make   money.  My past posts on microsoft should have made that clear.  If   Oracle can get away with it, then hey, more power to them.   My   point was that they are trying to make this look oh so nice by saying "it's   improved!  Look at the hoops you have to go to get the OCM, they have to   be good".  When really all the new levels do is require more cash for the   qualified people and allow bookworms to advance to a second level without   experience.  Fortuneately I believe in the wonders of market   forces.  If enough people say, "yeah right, I got your OCM right here",   it'll die.  If not, then when I go for certificatinon, I'll see you in   OCA 101...   :)
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

  size=2>
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

  size=2>--Chris
<SPAN

  class=505320116-10012002><FONT
  color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><SPAN
  class=505320116-10012002><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
  size=2>
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

  size=2>

  -----Original Message-----From:
  orantdba [mailto:orantdba_at_netscape.net] Sent: Thursday, January 10,   2002 10:36 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list   ORACLE-LSubject: Re: The OCP bar is being   raised
  Hmmm,Imagine that,  a
    publicly traded company that it trying to make money, I am     shockeddismayed, I don't believe I will be able to sleep tonight.      Chris,  could you provide me with the list of companies     that are not trying to make money?I want to make sure that I don't go to     work for them, or learn their products.John :-)<A     class=moz-txt-link-abbreviated
    href="mailto:Chris.Bowes_at_kosa.com">Chris.Bowes_at_kosa.com wrote:

      I'd say the cost is being raised.  Look at the
      requirements for each.  You can't just take the OCM exam.  No we
      would first have to get the OCA.  Whether or not we need the entry
      level cert we have to have it.  Then, and only then, can we take the
      OCP.  Then and only then, can we take the OCM and that is after we
      take these REQUIRED classes from Oracle Ed.  So someone the caliber
      of Steve Adams or Jared Still, has to spend money in a class that they
      could probably teach from memory before they can get certification and
      that is after getting 2 other certs that have no value to them.  Call
      me a cynic, but to me, this is nothing but a money grab.
      From the website:
      --To become an Oracle Associate, you must pass the exams
      required-- for the Oracle Associate level of your
      selected job role. Typically, --two exams are
      required; the first one can be taken via the Internet, <FONT
      size=2>--while subsequent exams must be taken in a proctored environment.
      By --completing your Oracle Associate, you are
      half-way toward achieving the-- Oracle Certified
      Professional credential.
      --To become an Oracle Certified Professional, you must
      pass all required exams --in your selected job
      role, including those at the Associate level.
      --To become an Oracle Certified Master, you must first be
      an Oracle --Certified Professional. Additionally,
      achieving your OCM credential --requires attending
      two advanced level Oracle University courses from <FONT
      size=2>--the list shown on this page as well as passing the OCM Practicum
      exam.
      --Chris
      -----Original Message-----From: <A
      class=moz-txt-link-abbreviated
      href="mailto:dgoulet_at_vicr.com">dgoulet_at_vicr.com [<A
      href="mailto:dgoulet_at_vicr.com"> mailto:dgoulet_at_vicr.com ]
      Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 9:16
      AMTo: Multiple recipients of list
      ORACLE-LSubject: The OCP bar is being
      raised
      Anyone care to comment on the following, IMHO it's about
      time:<FONT
      size=2>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<FONT
      size=2>---Introducing two new levels of Oracle
      Certified Professional (OCP) Achievement <FONT
      size=2> A recent *IDC report on IT Education
      and Training Services quoted databaseprofessionals
      and network engineers as the fastest-growing areas of
      ProfessionalCertification. And in an October
      survey from *crn.com on Certification, 58% of<FONT
      size=2>respondents said that it is very difficult to find qualified Oracle
      CertifiedProfessionals-Database Administrators.

      To meet this demand, we have recently introduced two new
      levels of professionalachievement to DBAs (and
      soon to be released to Application and Java Developers<FONT
      size=2>worldwide):
      The Oracle Certified Associate (OCA) -- an entry-level
      Oracle qualificationrequiring successful
      completion of two exams.The Oracle Certified
      Master (OCM) -- an advanced qualification for Oracle<FONT
      size=2>Certified Professionals (OCP), that requires students to take a
      practicum examon-sitee at an Oracle University
      education center. Visit<A
      href="http://www.oracle.com/education/certification/news/index.html?certlevels.html"
      target=_blank>http://www.oracle.com/education/certification/news/index.html?certlevels.html
      for more information
      IDC, IT Education and Training, Sept 2001<FONT
      size=2>crn.com, Certification: What's Hot, What's Not, Oct
      2001<FONT
      size=2>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<FONT
      size=2>------- Please see
      the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A href="http://www.orafaq.com"
      target=_blank>http://www.orafaq.com --
      Author:   INET: <A
      class=moz-txt-link-abbreviated
      href="mailto:dgoulet_at_vicr.com">dgoulet_at_vicr.com
      Fat City Network Services    -- (858)
      538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego,
      California        -- Public Internet
      access / Mailing Lists<FONT
      size=2>To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail
      messageto: <A class=moz-txt-link-abbreviated
      href="mailto:ListGuru_at_fatcity.com">ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT
      spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY,
      include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the
      name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You
      mayalso send the HELP command for other
      information (like

subscribing). Received on Thu Jan 10 2002 - 19:44:16 CST