Re:RE: The OCP bar is being raised

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 08:10:13 -0800

Well, A number of folks have weighed in on this matter & I appreciate each point of view, especially those about Oracle Education just trying to justify itself. What IMHO is good in this is the praticum exam. It lends a true degree of certified hands on professionalism to the certificate, not just theory.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Boivin; Patrice J" <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date:       1/10/2002 7:25 AM

They offered the Oracle Master certification before, I was told from Oracle Canada two years ago that to earn it one had to have taken courses specifically from Oracle.

I asked because they offered NT Core Technologies, and I had taken the same course from a Microsoft-certified training center.

I met all the requirements to move on toward the Masters certificate, but when they realized I had taken courses on NT from Microsoft, they told me I could never "earn" the Masters Certificate.

I was rather annoyed with Oracle Education for that, why would NT Core Technologies from Microsoft be different from NT Core Technologies from Oracle Education - the course titles were identical. It seemed to me that this Masters certificate was just a carrot to encourage people to purchase more instructor-led training.

They had similar tracks for Solaris and HP-UX, I wonder if their attitude was the same re. courses (with identical names) offered by Sun or HP certified training centers.

I think this is a good move, to split up the OCP certifications - of course that may mean more people will sign up to write exams.

Rather than using the OCP exams to verify whether you remember how to use the latest features from a particular release, I wish the OCP would rather concentrate on practical database administration issues - in some cases the "new features" don't work properly, or are not used in real-world environments. They should include questions about new features, but not put so much emphasis on them.

Questions about securing databases come to mind, it would be nice to have more of those in the OCP exams.
Questions covering the most common reasons for databases failures Questions covering the most common generic TARs that people log Etc.

Just my $0.02. I can't help it...

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)