RE: Oracle Future???

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 13:04:11 -0800

Eva et al,

I believe the survivability of a product is based on a number of factors including current market share, depth and availability of skills in the marketplace (this translates to product momentum), availability (and ease) of upgrades for newer and better features in new versions (catching up with ya!), availability of choice-of-platform (I can choose the better, lower-cost platform and am not locked in to one h/w vendor), availability of third-party packages as well as add-on packages that can be plugged on to cater to areas that are not addressed in the base product (e.g. ERP products, monitoring tools, etc.), financial ability and sustainability of the company, depth and breadth of products, effort required to move off the product, *apart* from base cost (what it costs to buy), total cost of ownership (what it costs to run, including staff costs, server licences, etc.) . If you look at the products that have 'died', it is because they lacked one or more of these factors when compared to another similar product that survived. In this case, they did a natural death. In some cases, they were also taken over by another competitor and be 'put to death' (as with IBM/Informix). I don't think that neither Oracle nor MS is at that place. Although MS is available only on M$ platforms, they have a very large base that will carry them along for a while. I believe that Oracle will survive at least in the ERP areas as they are actively increasing their base in this area at the cost of SAP and other packages, and it is difficult to knock off a working ERP application that is entrenced with the bean-counters.

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002