RE: Recover Primary DB from Standby DB

From: Jack C. Applewhite <japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 14:41:23 -0800

Jeremiah,

Thanks for the info. It's nice not to be an idiot! ;-)

...and so much easier to copy up-to-date datafiles from the Standby than to restore from tape backup in the event of a disk failure on the Primary. We'll use our Standby only in the event of a failure more catastrophic than a disk or two.

BTW, I finally found mention in the docs that Oracle sanctions using datafiles from the Standby to recover the Primary database. It's the very last bullet point in the section "Additions to Compatibility and Operational Requirements" in chapter 12 ("Standby Database") of "Oracle8i Documentation Addendum Release 3 (8.1.7)". It's not mentioned in the "Compatibility and Operational Requirements" in chapter 1 ("Standby Database Concepts") in the 8.1.6 Standby docs.

"You can use standby database datafiles to recover a primary database only on Oracle release 8.0.4 or higher."

Jack

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator/Developer
OCP Oracle8 DBA