RE: Recover Primary DB from Standby DB

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 12:34:18 -0800

There is no problem with using the standby as a source of good files in the event a file on the primary becomes media corrupt. Once stopped, you can use a standby just like a good backup of the database. The primary will not reject the file. This is particularly useful for single tablespace complete recoveries.

It is not advisable to use the standby as the *only* backup of a database. If you discover that for whatever reason you need to recover to a point in time prior to the standby, you will have to restore from a prior physical backup and roll forward.

On another topic:

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Grabowy, Chris wrote:

> Errr...what's the point in having a standby database then? If you
> have a media failure then you fail over to your standby database,
> and your up. Once the standby database comes up then you will have
> to rebuild the old primary database from the old standby anyway,
> since you now have all these new transactions hitting the old
> standby server.

If you perform graceful failover, A.K.A. role reversal, you can have the former primary pick up as the standby immediately after failover without recopying. I cover this topic in my Openworld paper on my site.

--
Jeremiah Wilton
http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton