Re: Problem Setting Up User

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 14:33:43 -0800

Ken,

Take a look at 'create synonym' in the docs.

There are two kinds: public and private.

For a private synonyms, the user KIMV would need to execute the statement 'create synonym TABLE_NAME for KENNETH.TABLE_NAME';

For a public synonym, a user with the 'create any synonym privilege' would need
to do: 'create public synonym TABLE for KENNETH.TABLE_NAME;'

There can be performance implications in the use of synonyms in a busy system.

Read more about it at www.ixora.com.au.

Jared

                    Ken Janusz

                    <ken.janusz_at_su       To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    fsys.com>            cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     Problem Setting Up User

                    root_at_fatcity.c

                    om

                    01/02/02 01:05

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

I am having a problem setting up a user on my DB (W2000 / 8.1.7).

I have my self as user KENNETH and the new user is KIMV.

She can access tables via KENNETH.TABLE_NAME or SYS.TABLE_NAME but not jus TABLE_NAME. Here is what I have (I am grantee KENNETH and the user I am setting up is KIMV):

GRANTEE         GRANTED_ROLE                   DEFAULT_ROLE
KENNETH         CONNECT                             YES
KENNETH         DBA                                      YES
KENNETH         EXP_FULL_DATABASE                   YES
KENNETH         IMP_FULL_DATABASE                   YES
KENNETH         RESOURCE                            YES
KENNETH         SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE            YES
KIMV                 CONNECT                             NO
KIMV                 DB                                       NO
KIMV                 KIMVO                                         NO

KIMV                 RESOURCE                            YES
KIMVO                     CONNECT                             YES
KIMVO                     RESOURCE                            YES

Also, Oracle will only allow me to have one granted role as YES at a time. For example if I set DB to YES then RESOURCE goes to NO.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

Author: Ken Janusz