OT: Restricting Copy Operation

From: Arslan Dar <arslandar_at_skm.org.pk>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 22:51:30 -0800

font-family:Arial'>Hi list,

font-family:Arial'>I am asking an OFF-TOPIC question,

font-family:Arial'>I want to restrict users from copying any file from a windows 2000 advance server box though I want them to read that file.

font-family:Arial'>I have shared some folders to the users which I want them to read/execute but not to copy to their hard drives.

font-family:Arial'>Example is like an encyclopedia...It installs some files on the system but even wants the source cd to be remained in the cd drive.

font-family:Arial'>As I have to give access the same cd to so many users, I am using a software which creates virtual cd drives on my server, I virtually insert all the cds in it. Then I share these drives to all users to be READ.

font-family:Arial'>Now I install the clients the minimal software required to run those programs.. ok ? icons are created...now the users can just double click the icon and run the software (as the virtual cd drives have been mapped to them)...no problem.

font-family:Arial'>But the problem comes as far as the copy right comes into action. If I have shared the users the whole cd drives to be READ. They can just copy and paste the whole shared CD's to their local drives and then get them writed to cd back again , which obviously I don't want.

font-family:Arial'>I heard there is a way in windows 2000 server/advance server to restrict the "COPY" operation from users. They can read and execute the files but cannot copy .... Has any one tried that ????

font-family:Arial'>Any suggestions/hints/material will be highly appreciated.

font-family:Arial'>

font-family:Arial'>Thanks in advance,

font-family:Arial'>

font-family:Arial'>Arslan Zaheer Dar

font-family:Arial'>Oracle Database Administrator<span style='mso-tab-count: 1'>

  style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Shaukat<font  size=2 face=Arial> <font
  size=2 face=Arial>Khanum<font
 size=2 face=Arial> <font
  size=2 face=Arial>Memorial<font
 size=2 face=Arial> <font
  size=2 face=Arial>Cancer<font
 size=2 face=Arial> <font
  size=2 face=Arial>Hospital<font
size=2 face=Arial> &
Research Centre,

  style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Pakistan<font size=2 face=Arial> Received on Tue Jan 01 2002 - 00:51:30 CST