Re: OT: Restricting Copy Operation

From: Steven Lembark <lembark_at_wrkhors.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 23:44:52 -0800

> I heard there is a way in windows 2000 server/advance server to restrict
> the "COPY" operation from users. They can read and execute the files but
> cannot copy .... Has any one tried that ????
> Any suggestions/hints/material will be highly appreciated.

The Samba package is free and works nicely for this. You can give the file 0644 mods to the file and then make it available via the "nobody" account as a windog share. Net result is that anyone can read the stuff but noone accessing the share can write to it. See www.samba.org for the source or O'Reilly Press' "Managing Samba" book for good examples on how to set up and configure it.

Anything which can be read can be copied. If the files aren't #!-ed then you can give them 0711 mods that allow execution but not reading. Given the lack of protection on windog systems, however, I'm not all that sure that someone can't easily start the execution and then perform some sort of copy operation on the local box (where the mods no longer apply).

                                            +1 800 762 1582
Author: Steven Lembark
  INET: lembark_at_wrkhors.com