RE: Becoming a DBA questions

From: Whittle Jerome Contr NCI <Jerome.Whittle_at_scott.af.mil>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 07:30:43 -0800

As I made the jump from Access to Oracle a couple of years ago, I'll try to answer some of your questions.

  1. Salary: Very dependent on where you work and the state of the economy. In my case, I started as a junior DBA with the same salary as a very experienced Access developer. Oracle has much more opportunity for advancement.
  2. I would not put in "entry-level" on the resume. Your resume should show your Oracle experience or lack thereof.
  3. When I interview for this Oracle DBA position they asked what I knew about Oracle. I said "Nothing, but I do know databases. And I can learn." I explained my experience with Access and Approach. I discussed normalization and indexing. I told them that I teach Access at the local community college part-time.

4a. I still don't have an OCP, but I plan on getting it next year.

4b. IMHO, training is good. Experience is better. Training + experience is best.

6. Depends. Check out:

https://oraclestore.oracle.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=1016 8

You can get a personal edition of 8i for free at the site below. It's quite large so hopefully you have more than a 56K modem and a CD burner to store it:

http://otn.oracle.com/software/content.html

Jerry Whittle
ACIFICS DBA
NCI Information Systems Inc.