Becoming a DBA questions

From: <LBanzali_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 01:41:06 -0800

Hi!  Here are some new questions that I have but here is some background information you'll need to know about me first:

I'm looking into getting into the field of Database Administrating.  Right now, I have experience with MS Access and have created several databases for companies that I have worked with in the past with Access.

I'm looking for a jump in my career and the next logical step for me, I would think, would be in database field.  However, I also have some networking knowledge (Cisco certified...).  So, I'm looking into the advantages of both fields.  I have some questions & I'm not sure who to ask or where to get my answers.  But, here they go:

Questions for a Database Administrator:

  1. What is the average salary range for an entry-level DBA position? Or a position for someone who is just starting out as a DBA?

2.  In a job resume, should I request an entry-level position or would that set me up for no phone calls?

3.  What are some steps I should take to becoming a DBA w/ the background that I have (ie. generated databases w/ MS Access)?

  1. Recommended training/education in Los Angeles area?
  2. Where do you recommend I study & is online training valuable?

4.  If I could learn Oracle software on my own through Independent study (books & reference sites), could this be sufficient enough to go about to get a job?

a)  Is the OCP certification necessary?

b) If I took this independent study route instead of formal training from like a vocational school, would the steps to getting a job (or even my OCP certification) be the same?  Or would it be more difficult without formal training?

5.  What are some valuable books and resources to aid in my training?

6.  How much does Oracle9i cost & would it be worth it to get since i want to learn?  Are there evaluation copies out there that I can get my hands on?

7.  What are the basic introductory courses/resources/training I could do to learn or get started in DBA training?

8.  Basically, please list the steps you took to become a DBA (starting with education/training to job entry) and how you sould suggest I should go about starting to learn the fundamentals and then more in depth?

Thank you!!  I really appreciate your help!!

Please, write to me @

LBanzali_at_aol.com

thanks!!
smiles & happy new year 2002!!!! Received on Mon Dec 31 2001 - 03:41:06 CST