Re: database administration questions

From: Bunyamin K. Karadeniz <bunyamink_at_havelsan.com.tr>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 00:17:46 -0800

  1. %50 DBA , %50 Developer
  2. Yes
  3. all , Java and xml are more.
  4. XML, VB
  5. Yes , but I did not too.
  6. Yes,OCP
  7. Learning oracle will be enough to fill your all time.
  8. This email list
  9. I am interested in the answer of this question too.
  10. I am interested in the answer of this question too.

    Bunyamin Karadeniz %50 DBA + %50 Developer

    <BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">
    • Original Message ----- <DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black">From: LBanzali_at_aol.com

  To: <A href="mailto:ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com"   title=ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L   Sent: Monday, December 24, 2001 10:15   AM
  Subject: database administration
  questions
  Hi! I'm looking
  into getting into the field of Database Administrating.  Right now, I   have experience with MS Access and have created several databases for   companies that I have worked with in the past with Access. I'm looking   for a jump in my career and the next logical step for me, I would think, would   be in database field.  However, I also have some networking knowledge   (Cisco certified...).  So, I'm looking into the advantages of both   fields.  I have some questions & I'm not sure who to ask or where to   get my answers.  But, here they go:   Questions for a   Database Administrator: 1)  What is your typical workday like?   2) Do you work a lot of overtime? 3) What are the most valuable   databse programs to learn? 4) If I was to look into learning these, should   I take classes?  Where would you recommend I look for classes in the Los   Angeles area? 5) What language, if any, are important (Java, XML, Visual   Basic, etc.)? 6) What programs are starting to get obsolete? 7) Is it   worth it to get vendor certifications (Microsoft, Oracle)? If so, are there   certain books that you recommend to study? 8) Is it worth it to get a   degree?  If so, what specific one? 9) Are there any other programs or   technologies that are valuable to learn? 10) Are there any associations or   other groups that you belong to as a DBA? 11) What kinds of companies hire   DBAs? 12) What companies do you recommed to work for?  Know of any   currently hiring? 13) With my background, what is the best way to advance   and work my way into a real DBA position? Thank you, whom ever reads   this and answers back with at least some answers to some of the questions.    I really appreciate your help!!! Please, respond to me at   lbanzali_at_aol.com smiles, me thank you! Received on Mon Dec 24 2001 - 02:17:46 CST