Re: database administration questions

From: Randy Kirkpatrick <randywk_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 08:27:35 -0800

For questions 11 and 12:

All different kinds of companies use Oracle DBAs (or have hired!) DBA's. They range from restaurant chains main offices, hospitals, Defense Contractors, Internet Companies, Office Supply .... just about any field you can think of. All of the above are currently hiring in the Denver area, although competition is fierce! I have seen a couple junior positions, but they require at least training and some work with Oracle. Internet companies are still risky, but defense contractors like Raytheon and Lockheed are sure bets, although may require security clearances (both are hiring in the Denver area for certain specialized Oracle related positions).

Companies are extremely "picky" at the moment and are requesting specific skill sets. For current real examples in the Denver area: Oracle DBA with Sybase, DB2, and Access experience as well as Unix and NT administration with a Bachelors degree. Another is Oracle DBA with SQL server with strong C / Pro C programming skills. Another is Oracle DBA and SAP Basis Administration experience (which I have the good fortune to have experience in and hopefully will be hired by the company soon!). Still another is for a 10 year+ Unix Admin (HP9000 preferred) who has recent Oracle DBA experience. I think you get the picture.

For question 13

Getting started in Oracle seems to be pure luck. For example: A systems administrator can be asked to do some DBA duties if the main DBA becomes too busy or leaves the company. In this case, the employer may send the administrator to some Oracle classes and eventually he becomes a bona fide Oracle DBA (you can say this outloud with a Redneck accent!). So, your best bet is to work for an Oracle shop where you have a chance for exposure to Oracle, ask to be involved with Oracle projects and Oracle training.

Randy Kirkpatrick
home: (303) 772-7467