RE: Locally managed tablespaces

From: SARKAR, Samir <Samir.SARKAR_at_nottingham.sema.slb.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 08:35:41 -0800

Hi
John,

Thanks so much for ur
advice.....never knew about that procedure before. By the way,
could u please tell me what
do the allocation_unit,  relative_fno <SPAN class=125172316-14122001>within the paranthesis mean ?? Or could u just
give me a document link where I can read more about this procedure ??

<SPAN
class=125172316-14122001>Regards,
Samir
Samir Sarkar<
 BR>Oracle DBA - LennonT
 eam Schlumberger<FONT
face=Impact color=#800000>Sema
Email :
samir.sarkar_at_nottingham.sema.slb.com <FONT face=Verdana color=#000080
size=1>           s
 amir.sarkar_at_sema.co.uk <FONT face=Verdana color=#000080 size=1>Phone : +44 (0) 115 - 95 76217 EPABX : +44 (0) 115 - 957 6418
Ext. 76217 Fax
: +44 (0) 115 - 957
6018

<FONT face=Tahoma

  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: orantdba   [mailto:orantdba_at_netscape.net]Sent: 14 December 2001   15:40To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   Re: Locally managed tablespacesHiAny reason that   this external consultant is not using the   packagedbms_space_admin.tablespace_migrate_to_local procedure    ??This would seem a much cleaner method of doing this than the   method they are recommending.From the plsql supplied   reference.
<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"
  color=#330099>TABLESPACE_MIGRATE_TO_LOCAL   Procedure
  Use this procedure to migrate the tablespace from dictionary   managed format to locally managed format. Tablespaces migrated to locally   managed format are user-managed.
<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"
  color=#330099>SyntaxTABLESPACE_MIGRATE_TO_LOCAL(tablespace_name, allocation_unit, relative_fno)

Hope this helps,John<A class=moz-txt-link-abbreviated   href="mailto:H.Docherty_at_napier.ac.uk">H.Docherty_at_napier.ac.uk wrote:   I have just heard today that an external consultant, who is coming toupgrade software for our Student Records system next week, wants to unloadthe live, test and training databases, and recreate them using locallymanaged tablespaces.I've been reading all the incredibly positive things oracle have to sayabout this, but has anybody any real experience of using locally managedtablespaces, and if so, are there any major disadvantages or knock-oneffects that I should be aware of? Apart from trying to find disk space tounload each database to do this, would it have any additional spaceimplications?Basically, I need to decide if I should let this go ahead.Heather

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of SchlumbergerSema.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the SchlumbergerSema Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.