Re: Locally managed tablespaces

From: orantdba <orantdba_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 08:11:39 -0800

Hi

Any reason that this external consultant is not using the package

dbms_space_admin.tablespace_migrate_to_local procedure  ??

This would seem a much cleaner method of doing this than the method they

are recommending.

>From the plsql supplied reference.

 TABLESPACE_MIGRATE_TO_LOCAL Procedure

 Use this procedure to migrate the tablespace from dictionary managed format to locally managed format. Tablespaces migrated to locally managed format are user-managed.

 Syntax

TABLESPACE_MIGRATE_TO_LOCAL(tablespace_name, allocation_unit, relative_fno)

Hope this helps,
John

H.Docherty_at_napier.ac.uk wrote:

  I have just heard today that an external consultant, who is coming toupgrade software for our Student Records system next week, wants to unloadthe live, test and training databases, and recreate them using locallymanaged tablespaces.I've been reading all the incredibly positive things oracle have to sayabout this, but has anybody any real experience of using locally managedtablespaces, and if so, are there any major disadvantages or knock-oneffects that I should be aware of? Apart from trying to find disk space tounload each database to do this, would it have any additional spaceimplications?Basically, I need to decide if I should let this go ahead.Heather             Received on Fri Dec 14 2001 - 10:11:39 CST