RE: nomount

From: Sajid Iqbal <siqbal_at_vianetworks.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 07:50:14 -0800

No, these are questions I have been asked but couldn't readily find the information on... so I thought someone out there must know :-)

Regards

Saj

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Mark Leith wrote:

> lol looks like it eh?
>
> I know that you can view v$instance while the database is not mounted - not
> sure about the other one..
>
> And - straight from the Oracle Concepts Manual (page 126)
>
> Locally managed temporary tablespaces have temporary datafiles (tempfiles),
> which
> are similar to ordinary datafiles except that:
>
> Tempfiles are always set to NOLOGGING mode.
> You cannot make a tempfile read-only.
> You cannot rename a tempfile.
> You cannot create a tempfile with the ALTER DATABASE statement.
> Media recovery does not recognize tempfiles:
> – BACKUP CONTROLFILE does not generate any information for tempfiles.
> – CREATE CONTROLFILE cannot specify any information about tempfiles.
> Tempfile information is shown in the dictionary view DBA_TEMP_FILES and the
> dynamic performance view V$TEMPFILE, but not in DBA_DATA_FILES or the
> V$DATAFILE view.
>
> Looks like I failed my OCP :P
>
> Mark

Sajid Iqbal
Database Team Leader

VIA NET.WORKS
620 Birchwood Boulevard
Birchwood
Warrington
WA3 7QZ
DDI: +44 (0) 1925 484485  Fax: +44 (0) 1925 484466
Email: siqbal_at_vianetworks.co.uk
Website: http://www.vianetworks.co.uk

local touch global reach

Author: Sajid Iqbal