Lookup table design thoughts needed

From: Tracy Rahmlow <Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 09:32:01 -0800

We are currently looking at rewriting our entry system and one issue that I am looking for some feedback involves the use of lookup tables and populating/editing screens. We are looking at creating a generic table that contains all the valid entries for each drop-down list. For example, we may display a list of valid states for the user to select. The proposed "edit" table contains a row for each state with the following columns as an example:

table_name: address
column_name: state_cd
code: WI

In addition, we have situations on the screen where a user may select option 'a' in a drop-down list, but can not choose option 'c,d or f' in a different drop down list.
Any suggestions for designing a flexible system that would incorporate issues like the above. We have been considering either "hard-coding" the edits within the screen as well as creating a "rules/validation" table that would incorporate these edits. How practical is a rules table? (We do have situations where we may have multiple entries to validate to each other). I realize these are very broad questions, so I am looking for generic theories that may be applied that are flexible for adapting to changes within the business. What else should I consider? It appears as if there are several ways to skin the cat how do we go about choosing the best method for our situation.

 In addition, does anybody know of any good websites/books that contain relational design strategies, tips ...

Author: Tracy Rahmlow
  INET: Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Dec 05 2001 - 11:32:01 CST