RE: Lookup table design thoughts needed

From: Aponte, Tony <AponteT_at_hsn.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:52:59 -0800

I would start by considering how the application is deployed.  For code that is easily deployed (E.I.. executables are located on a few application servers or a shared drive) I would consider compiling the rule data along with the logic.  It generally improves run-time performance because there is no database access, network traffic, etc.  Initialization of the bloated executable would be offset by the run-time savings.  You incur a penalty when adding a new codes since you have to recompile and deploy the new executable but itsanotsobad in an app. server/shared drive deployment.

Another consideration to take is the frequency that rules may change.  Your example for state codes has remained the same since the 50's.  I would pursue the hardcoded route if the code tables are more or less stable, or if the changes in the rules would involve code changes anyway.

In a 2-tier client-server deployment I would go the database route, although separate tables for each type of code.  This will simplify code table changes by not requiring a redeployment of the compiled code.

Tony Aponte

Author: Tracy Rahmlow

  INET: Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.com

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051

San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists

also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Dec 11 2001 - 11:52:59 CST