RMAN disaster recovery

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 06:48:30 -0800

I am wondering how RMAN would work for disaster recovery. Our manager's statement is "assume your server is reduced to a pile of ash. Now take your backup tape and build me a new system on a loaner from the vendor." I am trying to figure how that would work with RMAN. We are still at the stage of just using RMAN to create disk copies, and we are on Compaq Tru64 UNIX. He wants us to demonstrate that level of recoverability, but I'm not sure how that would work. I think we could assume that we have a database to load the RMAN catalog from an export.

        One issue would be whether the disk location of the RMAN files might be different, and I'm not sure how to get RMAN to accept a different location. A more minor issue is if the database file locations are different, but I think that is pretty well documented.

        Has anyone else tried this? What am I overlooking? Any ideas will be appreciated.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Nov 30 2001 - 08:48:30 CST