RE: RMAN disaster recovery

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:36:23 -0800

Thanks for the input, Cherie, Kimberly, Tom

The part I'm still uncertain is as follows - see the sentence in caps below:

        On my current system let's say I have RMAN write its backup file to a disk location "/ora01". I also have my RMAN catalog on a separate server, and have written an export to my backup tape also.

        After my disaster, my hardware vendor offers me the use of a comparable system at a different location. I grab my backup tape and get in the car. And if it is a real disaster, maybe it is the older backup out of the off-site vault.

        Let's assume that Oracle is already installed on this new system just to move the story along as Hollywood would say.

        I load my RMAN catalog.
        I START TO LOAD THE RMAN BACKUP FILE TO /ora01 AND DISCOVER THE NEW
SYSTEM DOESN'T HAVE THAT DEVICE. Do I simply create a link and RMAN will be fine with that?

        I fire up RMAN and start the recovery process. Using the syntax Tom provided, I should be able to account for any other device naming or path naming problems.

Kimberly - we aren't quite talking about the need for a standby database. This manager's point, and I feel it is a good one, is that if you have been making backups and storing them off-site, you should be able to mount those backups on a new machine and get your system back. Eventually. Given a lot of time. If something catastrophic happens and you say that because the company didn't spend the big bucks for a duplicate remote data center with a standby database, the recovery will take a week, that would be survivable. But if you say that because you switched to this really keen backup method there is just no way to ever get the data back, well you better make sure your resume was off-site as well.

        Naturally before we quit making weekly cold backups we are going to have to actually test this scenario. I assume that the same applies to your sites also.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com