RE: OT: NT cmd file parameters

From: Sherman, Edward <shermanej_at_eccic.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:18:11 -0800

**SHIFT
If you notice, you can only use 9 parameters: from %1 to %9. In most of cases this it more than enough. But, if you need to use more than 9 parameters in your program, you can use the order SHIFT. SHIFT makes the parameters lose their current value and will give them the value of the next numbered parameters. Quite confusing, I know. Lets see it. If you give the order SHIFT, %1 lose it's value and, from now, has second parameter as content. The same with %2, that now refers to the third parameter... and so on till the %9 parameter. Now, the %9 values the 10th parameter, that was unaccesible before.
You can execute SHIFT as many times as you want. But note that the maximun DOS order width is 255 characters, so you don't make a program that needs 50 parameters because you won't be able to type all of them. http://users.110.net/~pq1801/gtmhh/ms2p2.htm

See also: http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html

HTH
Ed