RE: Oracle 8.1.6 silent install - setting inventory location

From: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) <Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:59:22 -0800

Hi Richard,

The following Metalink forum discussion describes how to do this on both Unix and Windows.

In summary, Note:71919.1 Debugging the Universal Installer says how to do this for NT.
Note 134061.1 Running Multiple Copies of Oracle says how to for Unix. Some of the details are below.
I have also found that on NT / W2K if you set oracle_base as an environment variable then the inventory will go to %oracle_base%\inventory rather than to
program files\oracle

Regards,
Bruce Reardon

Microsoft Servers and Utilities Technical Forum Thread Status: Closed

RDBMS Version: 8.1.7
Operating System and Version: Windows 2000 SP 1 Error Number (if applicable):
Product (i.e. SQL*Loader, Import, etc.): Oracle Universal Installer Product Version: OUI 8.1.7

Need to change the inventory location

Hello,
Is there a way of specifying the location of the inventory folder? By default it goes to C:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory and I need to put it somewhere else.

I have seen that for solaris and linux, one can do: runInstaller -invPtrLoc oraInst.loc

and the file oraInst.loc contains
inventory_loc=/.../817/oraInventory

How can I do it with Windows2000?

Thanks in advance,
-montse

Hello,

Sorry not aware of accomplishing this on WIN but as you said its possible on unix. The following article explains the two ways you can manage the orainst.loc files:

134061.1 Running Multiple Copies of Oracle

Thanks!
Kalpana
Oracle Technical Support

I found the following...
Note:71919.1 Debugging the Universal Installer

If nothing is specified on NT, the first time installation will copy the Oracle Universal Installer in the directory \Program Files\Oracle\Inventory
The registry variable can be preset, to force the Installer to install itself in another directory.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Software
Oracle
inst_loc REG_SZ full_directory_specification

Hello,

Thanks Montse for the update.

Thanks!
Kalpana
Oracle Technical Support

 Copyright (c) 1995,2000 Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Legal Notices and Terms of Use.

Author: Richard O'Mahony
  INET: richard.omahony_at_comnitel.com

Author: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY)
  INET: Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Oct 31 2001 - 19:59:22 CST