RE: Oracle 7 documentation - Good One

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 12:25:22 -0800

Deepak,

There are still a lot of sites out there using Oracle Apps 10.7 which uses 7.3.4 as the backend. Although one could migrate to 8.1.7 at the backend and retain the 10.7 frontend until July 2003, officially 7.3.4 when used in this config will still be 'supported' - without ECS though. IMHO, 7.3.4 has been the longest survivor on the Oracle scene in recent years. And as a result, has become one of the most stablest of versions. The 'instability' (read: patches, patches and more patches) and relatively high cost of moving up to 11i/8.1.x (read: new technology, hungrier servers, special people to implement/maintain) has kept a number of organizations hovering on the edge of moving up versions.

This is from an 'Apps DBA' perspective, so this may vary coming from others on this list. However, at my last non-APPS gig, about 80% of the databases (all non-Apps, about 60-65 of them) were at 7.3.4 last year and I fear they will stay the same for a while to come....

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002