RE: RE: Extents size.

From: Jack C. Applewhite <japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 15:36:38 -0700

Multiple extents a good thing? YES!

I'm *depending* on many multiple extents of an interMedia index segment (the DR$<>$I segment) to distribute I/O for full text indexing and queries. I plan to distribute the datafiles of the tablespace holding the DR$<>$I segment across multiple drives and set the uniform extent size to 1MB. Since Oracle8i distributes new extents for a table or index in a round-robin fashion, I'll get even distribution of that big token table across several spindles. (...and with a couple gig more RAM on a new Win2k box we're getting, I'll be able to cache all 900MB of the DR$<>$X index - YAY!) 8^)

BTW, the largest of our out-of-line CLOB segments have nearly 30,000 extents
(1MB per extent) with no performance problems at all. However, I am going
to implement 100MB extents for those CLOB segments on the new box, to keep the LMT bitmaps within an 8KB block.

Jack

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator/Developer
OCP Oracle8 DBA