Re: Extents size.

From: Charlie Mengler <charliem_at_mwh.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 07:55:48 -0700

Does the 505 extent "limit" apply to the whole of a partitioned table or to the number of extents per partition?

For example if I had a table wth 371 partitions (53 weeks per year * 7 years) to hold invoice data for tax purposes, do the number of extents per partition need to be kept at 1 to avoid exceeding the 505 extent value on the table as a whole?

Christopher Spence wrote:

> LMT's have their own problems as well though.
>
> Using LMT's, the bitmap on the tablespace is only used to manage free space,
> used space is in the segment header of the segment which represents the
> extents. Therefore, to do a query of DBA_EXTENTS you can hit all segment
> headers (of all tables and indexes in the database) as well as all the
> additional extent maps. This can cause a very large amount of physical
> reads in comparison to the dictionary-managed extents.
>
> Although LMT's are great, they are not perfect and do have their share of
> concerns. And like Connor pointed out, for a 8K block size, it is highly
> suggested to keep the extents to 505 which would only create a single block
> for the segment header, anything further than that will create additional
> blocks for the segment. Remember, DBA_EXTENTS has to hit all the segment
> headers (be it one or two) as well as the extent maps.
>
> The formula he used is (blocksize / 16)-7, which determine how many extents,
> can fit in the segment header of a LMT tablespace.
>
> "Do not criticize someone until you walked a mile in their shoes, that way
> when you criticize them, you are a mile a way and have their shoes."
>
> Christopher R. Spence
> Oracle DBA
> Phone: (978) 322-5744
> Fax: (707) 885-2275
>
> Fuelspot
> 73 Princeton Street
> North, Chelmsford 01863

Charlie Mengler                            Maintenance Warehouse
charliem_at_mwh.com                           10641 Scripps Summit Ct.
858-831-2229                               San Diego, CA 92131
United WE Stand!                           Justice WILL Be Served!
Author: Charlie Mengler
  INET: charliem_at_mwh.com