RE: Extents size.

From: Mohammad Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 13:56:22 -0700

Further to my previous message, I am reproudcing an email of a list member on this subject. It is really interesting to read it..

Hi all

We know that Oracle often gives us enough rope to hang ourselves with. In
Kevin Loney's presentation at IOUG this year, he brought up an interesting
point about unlimited extents being one of the more boneheaded idea Oracle
came up with, so I decided to conduct my own experiment :

Environment :
HP V2500, 16 CPU's running at 450 Mhz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 GBPS fiber channel port
connection, running Oracle 7.3.4.4 on HP-UX 11.0. DB_BLOCK_SIZE=8192
In other words, one real kick-ass machine

One table :

1,2 million rows in a single extent of 120 MB.

Export this table.
Set timing on
Drop it : 3.5 seconds.

Recreate the table as follows :
Create table my_tab ( ......) storage (initial 16 k next 8 k pctincrease 0
minextetns 1 maxextents 30000 ) pctfree 5 tablespace my_own_persoanl_ts ;
Make a note of the datafile numbers for your tablespace, you will need this
to determine how far you are from being done :

import your old table (ignore=y, indexes=no), check your alert log , when
you see :
  ORA-1631: max # extents 30000 reached in table/cluster DBA_USER.S_ORG_PROD
then ps_ef | grep -i imp
and kill the process.

Now you have a 30,000 extent table.
First turn on tracing for tkprof :
SQL > alter session set sql_trace true ; session altered
SQL > Now drop the table :
SBPRD-DBA_USER> drop table s_org_prod;

table dropped
Elapsed: 01:53:42.89

SQL > In the meantime, from another session, logged in as SYS You know that this is the only table that lives in your particular datafile
, so :
SQL > select count (*) from uet$ where file#=5 ;

   COUNT(*)

      26638
SBPRD-DBA_USER> /    COUNT(*)

      26254

(so you can see the allocated user extent table decreasing).

Bottom line is that from the recursive DML being done on uet$ and fet$, the
process has slowed down from 3.5 seconds to almost two hours, and we are not
talking a Mickey Mouse machine here.

Just another reminder that good database design ALWAYS pays off, and we are
to look at new "benefits" that the rdbms offers us, with optimistic
skepticism .

Hope this benchmark is of use to someone out there. If you like, I can mail
the output result of the tkprof (sys=yes) to you.

Regards :

Ferenc Mantfeld
Oracle DBA

MOHAMMAD RAFIQ Reply-To: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 13:15:30 -0800

Why is that? And would that only count for an object in a dictionary managed tablespace? Would the time/speed it takes for drops and truncates really matter as far as performance is concerned? What I mean is who would set storage specs for objects with the speed it takes for truncates and drops of that object in mind? It would seem to me that if an object is getting dropped or truncated that often that speed should be an issue, there are bigger problems at hand. Guru's correct me if I'm wrong please. Later, Ivan

Author: Thanh-truc Nguyen

    INET: truc_at_nguyen.as

Author: Wong, Bing

    INET: bing.wong_at_IngramMicro.com

Author: Christopher Spence

    INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.com

Author: Mohammad Rafiq

   INET: rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com

Author: Mohammad Rafiq
  INET: rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Oct 02 2001 - 15:56:22 CDT