Hot Backup Issue

From: Rajesh Dayal <Rajesh_at_ohitelecom.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 04:06:15 -0700

Hi All,

        I am trying for hot backup restore/recovery. Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 on WIN 2K Server. I am performing the operations in following order:

  1. Put all the tablespaces in backup mode.
  2. Copy all the datafiles to backup location.
  3. Do end backup for all the tablespaces. Also switch logfile after every end backup ( some more switch logfile at the end).
  4. Shutdown the database ( after all its test instance).

        When I try to "completely recover" the database using backed up datafile the recovery goes upto last archived logfile and even after applying last archived logfile it asks for the next archived logfile.

        This is a very awkward situation, how can I provide next archived logfile if there is no activity and I had shutdown the database immediately after last switch logfile.

        If I try to open the database, then I get following error:

ORA-01113: file 1 needs media recovery
ORA-01110: data file 1: 'D:\ORACLE\ORADATA\OHIR\SYSTEM01.DBF'

        Upon checking the metalink, some guys suggest, using _allow_resetlogs_corruption = true. But I am afraid of using this, because I have to implement this into production environment too
(where same problem is happening).

        After lots of testing I have found that incomplete recovery
(cancel based) goes fine with the same backup and I can open the
database without any error. But keeping the needs of production database in mind, it would be very difficult to do an incomplete recovery every time.

        Why can't I perform complete recovery? Am I missing something? I hope someone on this list would have experienced the problem and would have got the solution as well. Please share your experience.......

Thanks in Advnace,
Rajesh

Author: Rajesh Dayal
  INET: Rajesh_at_ohitelecom.com