RE: How to move a database from Solaris to Linux

From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:22:16 -0700

Reinhold,

I am afraid export import is the only way to migrate the database from one Operating system to another operating Systems and oracle data files are not compatible across various operating systems (with a single exception of Solaris-HPUX)

If you are using Solaris (or HP UX) you can copy the data files to HP UX( to Solaris if you use HP) and recreate the control files and you can open the database. I don't know Oracle Support's stand on this type of migration.

I am developing a tool which will do the migration from one operating system to another operating system (Basically it will read block by block and write to the another operating system file format) and you can copy (or binary FTP) the file to the target operating system and recreate the control file and you are set to go

I don't have much experience in DB/2 and I can not comment about that compatibility issues in DB/2. But different operating systems uses different file formats to store the data and oracle also has to follow the rules to read/write the data files in those operating systems.

If you have after interconnect (read GB n/w) you can copy the tables over dblink and this will be much faster than conventional export and Import. I don't have the exact figures .. but this will reduce the downtime if you have faster interconnect.

Why don't you file an enhancement request with oracle seeking this ? :-)

Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan
Bangalore, INDIA

Author: Reinhold Wagner