Smon in trouble?

From: Biddell, Ian <Ian.Biddell_at_compaq.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 19:24:15 -0700

Hi all,

I had a large table 31 million rows and was trying to add a column to this table. It used up a lot of Rollback segment, but that was ok as I gave it plenty, but after a long period of time it died before successfully adding the column, ie. The database died.

After restarting the database, I can successfully log into it etc. but in the alert log I am getting a repeated message and the alert log just keeps growing.

Following is from the alert.log file, I wonder if anyone can give some idea of why it is doing this and what I need to do to stop it?

Thanks

alter database open
Beginning crash recovery of 1 threads
Recovery of Online Redo Log: Thread 1 Group 2 Seq 5939 Reading mem 0   Mem# 0 errs 0: D:\ORANT\DATABASE\GCAC\LOG02.ORA Thu Sep 13 11:44:09 2001
Crash recovery completed successfully
Thu Sep 13 11:44:11 2001
Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 5940
  Current log# 4 seq# 5940 mem# 0: X:\ORANT\DATABASE\GCAC\LOG4.ORA Thread 1 opened at log sequence 5940
  Current log# 4 seq# 5940 mem# 0: X:\ORANT\DATABASE\GCAC\LOG4.ORA Successful open of redo thread 1.
Thu Sep 13 11:44:11 2001
SMON: enabling cache recovery
SMON: enabling tx recovery
Thu Sep 13 11:44:14 2001
Completed: alter database open
Thu Sep 13 11:44:14 2001

SMON: about to recover undo segment 5
SMON: mark undo segment 5 as available
SMON: about to recover undo segment 5
SMON: mark undo segment 5 as available
SMON: about to recover undo segment 5
SMON: mark undo segment 5 as available
SMON: about to recover undo segment 5
SMON: mark undo segment 5 as available

   .... The above 2 lines repeat over and over until I shutdown the database.

Author: Biddell, Ian
  INET: Ian.Biddell_at_compaq.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Sep 12 2001 - 21:24:15 CDT