RE: Roles and Responsibilties

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 06:02:19 -0700

join the club. I've figured out that I either have NO boss, or else everyone is my boss.

No one tells me what to do about the databases. No one ASKS me about the databases. I get requests from programmers for new tables, help with SQL, data cleansing, data correction (let's manually fix the stuff the automated entry screwed up) etc etc,

Does that make them my boss(es)? God I hope not.

I get requests from end users for help digging information out of the database, because the programmers haven't provided adequate automated tools. Are THEY my bosses? Kinda.

The CTO occasionally comes by and tells me how to extract data from the database, and how to join information from various databases together, based on how he wants the world to be, rather than on how the data actually is. He does not listen to real world explanations. I've actually said to him "okay, for the 17th time, here is why we can't do it your way".

I guess technically he is my boss, since he determines pay raises. So I have to become a contortionist to give him what he wants.

end of whine for the day. :)

Rachel

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com