Re: first there is a mountain, then there is no mountain...

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:43:10 -0700

I'm not sure I would believe much that is based on any ITAA report (as is this article). They appear to have a hidden agenda. See: http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/itaa.real.html

Where I am, there were always three or more pages of ads in the help wanted section for IT. For the last two months, it has never exceeded two and a half columns - less than half a page. Even the local recruiters are whining about how dead the IT job market is here. When one Oracle DBA position came up recently, I got calls from six different recruiters within two days. Four of them I'd never even heard of before their call.

-Don Granaman
[certifiable Orasaurus]

> [...]
> terms of salary, signaling a leveling off or decline in
> salary increases.
>

> Meanwhile, Computerworld's annual salary survey, which will
> be released Tuesday, shows that IT salaries are rising
> moderately this year, averaging just under 6% but still
> higher than the 4% raise the average U.S. worker can
> expect.
>

> A study released in April by the Information Technology
> Association of America (ITAA) -
> http://www.itaa.org/workforce/studies/01execsumm.htm - an
> Arlington, Va.-based trade group, also supports the view
> that demand for IT workers remains substantial although not
> as strong as the demand a year ago.
>

> An ITAA report titled "When Can You Start?" concluded that
> demand for IT workers is strong despite a 44% drop in
> demand from last year. Based on telephone interviews with
> 685 hiring managers, the report said that this year,
> employers will try to fill more than 900,000 new IT jobs
> and that 425,000 of those jobs will remain vacant. Last
> year, the ITAA said there were 850,000 openings for IT
> workers.
>

> According to the group, the jobs most in demand by IT and
> non-IT companies through the first quarter of 2002 remain
> in the area of technical support, although demand for
> technical support professionals is down 65% from last year.
> The ITAA added that while the slowdown in the economy has
> diminished IT spending, demand for IT talent with the
> requisite technical skills persists.
>

> Pickering said the glut of ex-dot-com workers flooding the
> job market has led to a mismatch of skills between
> employers and potential employees. According to
> Chicago-based outplacement firm Challenger, Gray &
> Christmas, 87,795 dot-com workers were laid off since
> January.
>

> "Java programmers are not in top demand now," Pickering
> said. "Because companies are concerned with integrating
> legacy systems with e-business systems, [people] with
> cross-application integration skills [are in demand]."
>

> Shuman Lee, director of analytics for online recruiting
> firm Techies.com in Bloomington, Minn., agreed that the
> demand for qualified IT professionals far outweighs the
> supply.
>

> "[Companies] can't get enough [IT] people. The technology
> field is just growing too rapidly," Lee said. "And
> [prospective employees] are getting more attractive
> packages."
>

> Lee said some of the best-paying jobs for those with IT
> skills are systems administration, where the average salary
> for a worker with 10 years of experience was $78,400,
> nearly 72% more than the average starting salary for this
> job title; project management, where employees can expect
> to earn about $47,400 to start and $93,600 after 10 years;
> and technology management, where 10-year veterans earn
> about $97,400, about twice the $48,600 starting salary.
> Entry-level positions in the last two categories, however,

Messenger

Author: Don Granaman
  INET: granaman_at_home.com