Upgrade of Oracle effect on RS6000

From: Arich Henneman <Arich_at_valleycare.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:50:14 -0700

All,
We have an application that currently resides on Oracle 7.2. We are thinking of upgrading to Oracle 8.xxx whatever. The machine is an RS6000 - 590 with 256MB of memory, 30GB disk - about 6yrs old, AIX 4.2.1.0. The production DB is only about 10GB however at any one time there are no more than a dozen users. There are currently no performance issues regarding response time. However the vendor wants us to upgrade for support reasons. (no more Howevers...)

If we upgrade to Oracle 8.1.6 or whatever should we expect to see any performance issues with that hardware. The vendor is waffling and won't guarantee anything and we really don't want upgrade Oracle if it would mean needing a new machine. Does anyone have some relevent input that might help me make a decision? My feeling is that we should be Ok in upgrading, but I would hate to make a mistake that might set the users to chasing me with pitchforks.....

To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade, that is the Question....

Arich Henneman
New to Oracle, DBA wannabe

No Good Line Here ... And Yes I will donate to the List Fund, just supply details......

Author: Arich Henneman
  INET: Arich_at_valleycare.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Aug 30 2001 - 12:50:14 CDT