Re: sql*loader datatype question

From: Igor Neyman <ineyman_at_perceptron.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:50:28 -0700

Lisa,

Try to specify 'BADFILE' when using SQL*LOADER, should help you to find bad record.

From FM:

When SQL*Loader executes, it can create a file called a<EM class=Italic> bad file or reject file in which it places records that were rejected because of formatting errors or because they caused Oracle errors. If you have specified that a bad file is to be created, the following applies:

  if one or more records are rejected,
  the bad file is logged.

Igor Neyman, OCP DBAPerceptron, Inc.(734)414-4627<A href="mailto:ineyman_at_perceptron.com">ineyman_at_perceptron.com

<BLOCKQUOTE

  Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 1:33
  PM
  Subject: sql*loader datatype
  question

  I'm hitting a wall here.  I'm trying
  to load data into a large table.  Two of the fields are phone numbers (10   digits).  The database field is defined as number(10).    When I try to load these records, they err   out with an error similar to below.
  Record 858:  Rejected - Error on
  table INV_OWNER.FPSITE, column FPS_AFFIL_LTD_PTS_FPS. <FONT   face="Book Antiqua" size=2>ORA-01722: invalid number   So I change the fields to character, get   the data in and it truly is all 10-digit numbers.  I'm wondering if I'm   missing something in the format.  The doco says that INTEGER EXTERNAL is   to be used for "human readable" numbers, non-binary, when you want to specify   the length.  The length I've chosen is correct.  I can even create a   table with number(10) columns and insert the varchar(10) phone number data   into it!
  What am I missing?  I really do not
  want to change all my number fields to character.  It would defeat the   purpose. I have a feeling I'm missing some sort of conversion in SQL*Loader   but I don't see it off the top of my head.   Thanks in advance for any
  suggestions.
  Lisa
  Koivu wanna-be DBA Hand Holder (that's   what I've been doing this morning with an ex-coworker) and DBA   Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA
  The information in the electronic mail message is   Cendant confidential and may be legally privileged, it is intended solely for   the addressee(s) access to this internet electronic mail message by anyone   else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,   copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance   on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.   The sender believes that this E-mail and any   attachments were free of any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code   when sent. This message and its attachments could have been infected during   transmission. By reading the message and opening any attachments, the   recipient accepts full responsibility for taking protective and remedial   action about viruses and other defects. Cendant Corporation or Affiliates are   not liable for any loss or damage arising in any way from this message or its   attachments. Received on Thu Aug 30 2001 - 12:50:28 CDT