Re:user holding session even after a re-boot

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:46:04 -0700

Dave,

    Yes it is normal. The original session was communicating with the PC when the re-boot abnormally terminated the connection. It is now an orphan and will remain so until either you restart Oracle or the DB finds a way to close the session, most likely leaving it sniped.

The reason is that to properly close a session Oracle needs to handshake with the client that it has done so. Until then it remains. That was the purpose of Dead Connection Detection. Pity that Oracle never got it to work cleanly.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Farnsworth; Dave" <DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com>
Date:       8/15/2001 8:11 AM

I have Oracle 7.3.4 running on Windoze NT4.0. I have been trying to determine if I have an application problem or a database problem. I have an application called MP2 that is causing a user to have their PC freeze up when they try to print from the application. I ran a trace on their session to see what is going on. I have not looked at the trace file yet but when I was doing this I noticed that when this person had a session open that I could see with the query

SELECT sid,serial#,osuser from v$session;

That when they re-booted, their original session stayed open on Oracle. Should a re-boot have ended the session. When they logged back in another session opened and the first one stayed open also. Is this normal??

Thanks,

Dave

Author: Farnsworth, Dave
  INET: DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Aug 15 2001 - 11:46:04 CDT