Re: OT: Exploding the Mythns

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 07:30:09 -0700

Mike,

The presentation was called Exploding the Myths... but we were tricky, rather than include only things that were wrong (that would make it too easy for the audience), we also included things that were right.

So we had "sounds right but is wrong" "sounds wrong but is right" "sounds okay but is 'well, maybe'" statements in it

It started as an all-day seminar at ECO. We wanted to start discussions and tangents. We did.

So, setting timed_statistics=true was a sounds wrong but is right

having lots of extents is not a problem is a sounds okay but is a well, maybe

the reason for that one is, "it depends" (don't you love clear concise answers?). You need (as Paul pointed out) to define "lots" and you need to know your database and how it is being used. In general, for a table that is only being inserted into and is not being deleted from/updated on an ad hoc basis (say a table that logs page hits), then lots of extents can be a high number and isn't bad.

But if you have a table that is in flux, with large volumes of data being deleted, then lots of extents can be bad (example: table with 60,000 extents. truncate table. finished 16 hours later)

I was told in the Data Server Internals class I took that in general, Oracle can handle up to 1000 extents very well, and that going over 4096 could have repercussions. Please note this was for 8i

Rachel

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com