DESIGN suggestions needed.

From: Andrey Bronfin <Andreyb_at_maxbill.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 02:47:54 -0700

Dear all !

We have a client-server application which runs agains one Oracle DB. Now , we've got a requiremenet to split our DB into 3 databases  ( one for each country we support - don't ask me why ) .

So , we need to design it the way our existing application will continue working , i.e. the "split" behind the scene will be transparent to the application .

I thought of creating 3 DB links to each one of the databases for each object and then create a view : create view emp as
select * from emp_at_DB1
union all
select * from emp_at_DB2
union all
select * from emp_at_DB3
;

But now the problem is with updates , inserts and global relations ( i..e an employee in DB1 may belong to a department in DB3) .

did someone gone through a similar stuff ?

Please advice !
thanks a lot in advance ! Received on Wed Jun 27 2001 - 04:47:54 CDT