Re: Design Question - Thoughts Needed

From: JOE TESTA <JTESTA_at_longaberger.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 09:46:44 -0700

Tracy, where do you draw the line of when you should include them in the table as atrributes?

Since new coverages could be added at any time, i'd make them their own child entity.

I wouldnt concern yourself with i/o, if its indexed correctly its so fast noawadays, i'm not sure you could tell the difference.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Joe

>>> Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.com 06/25/01 01:15PM >>>We are looking to redesign our current system and a question popped up that Iam struggling with.  (our business is auto insurance).  Each vehicle on apolicy may have 1 or many coverages.    For example, comprehensive, collision,towing, property damage ...  A couple of things: 1-  some coverages will notapply because they are state specific.   2 - some coverages will not be chosenby the insured.  Therefore, should I have a vehicle table with each coverageand its premium as separate specific columns or should I add a coverage tablewhich will contain the coverage and premium.  Under the later example if I have10 coverages and I want to print them on the insured's declaration page don't Ihave a possible performance problem with up to 10 i/os.  Where as with thefirst example I only have 1 read but possible space wastage.   I know in 1stnormal form you should remove repeating groups, in my case is a coverage arepeating group?   Where do you draw the line?  For example, clients may havemultiple phone numbers although I don't see many examples where the phonenumbers are split into another table.  Please share any thoughts that may makemy decision easier.  ThanksJust an fyi, in our current design the coverages have been stored with thevehicle.-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com-- Author: Tracy Rahmlow  INET: Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.comFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing

REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jun 25 2001 - 11:46:44 CDT