Re: Waits on cache buffers chains latch

From: Johnson Poovathummoottil <joni_65_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:17:48 -0700

Hi Gaja,

I notice that you have advised Bruce to increase SORT_AREA_SIZE to gain proformance lost due to frequent allocation of temp segments. I too belived in the theory that disk sorts are always faster than memory sorts untill I stumbled on my own problem which leaves me a little confused.

I had been noticing that direct path read amd write were always among top 5 wait events in my data warehouse. This warehouse loads data during weekends and during week days all data and index tablespaces are read only. We have four or five large fact tables ( 30 to 45GB) on which some users do some heavy sorting. So in order to improve sorting I wanted to make my temp tablespace datafiles QUICK I/O. But veritas advised against it. So I made the temp tablespace datafiles, tempfiles with local management.

Though this helped finding that we had SORT_ARE_SIZE = 1M and SORT_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT = 2. I tested a few queries with a larger SORT_AREA_SIZE (84M) and SOR_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT = 4. I was assumming this should help. But all queries ran slower with larger SORT_AREA_SIZE.
Could you throw some light on why this happens?

Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
Author: Johnson Poovathummoottil
  INET: joni_65_at_yahoo.com