RE: LDAP

From: Guy Hammond <guy.hammond_at_avt.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 01:30:12 -0700

iPlanet are what's left of Netscape Corporation's server products group, after they were eaten by the unholy alliance of Sun and AOL. They had an application server (Netscape App Server, nee Kiva plus LiveWire) which used a mysterious combination of C++ and JavaScript to create "AppLogic(tm)". It was an OK product, if a little "quirky" but it rapidly fell out of favor (at least at the consulting shop I was working at at the time) when WebLogic matured, since that was a lot more reliable and standards-compliant (J2EE). And they liked Cold Fusion too, because it was cheap and let people with minimal experience develop database-backed web sites, but I've never thought of Cold Fusion as anything more than a toy.

Having said that, I've used Oracle Application Server versions 2 to 4. Version 2 was pretty good relative to what else was available in the market, but 3 and 4 really slipped behind unless you were 100% Oracle, for example deploying Forms and Reports on the web. If you wanted a general-purpose app server for, say, a JSP based web site, you would be better off with WebLogic or Sapphire or something. OAS 4 on NT was dreadful, it really was the nail in the coffin as far as I was concerned, which is odd because Oracle RDBMS on NT is very good, so it's not as if Oracle don't know what they're doing on that platform.

My current favorite, for the last year or so, is ATG Dynamo. This app server is fast, powerful, easy to use and very reliable. But it should be, for what you pay for it!

Cheers,

Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 9:12 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Related to this, I seem to recall reading something the other day that led me to believe that iPlanet is somewhat in competition with Oracle's app server product. Does anyone know if this is true?

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick
mailto:jonathan_at_gennick.com * 906.387.1698 http://Gennick.com * http://MichiganWaterfalls.com * http://MetalDrums.org

Author: Guy Hammond
  INET: guy.hammond_at_avt.co.uk

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jun 21 2001 - 03:30:12 CDT