Oracle 9i on Linux (Mandrake 8.0)

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:05:30 -0700

A bit of info to complete Joe's own tests. Interestingly, I have not met the same problems but I can confirm that it can be done on a 256M machine.

System used :
256M, dual-Celeron 466MH system. Swap 400M. Mandrake 8.0 distribution (kernel 2.4.3-20mdksmp) Note that 8.1.7 had previously been installed, and therefore all the upgrades required (to glibc etc.) applied (check the Mandrake site for the details).

The machine being both short on disk AND memory, here is some information about the disk space you will need :

Compressed distribution as available from the Oracle site :

Linux9i_Disk1.cpio.gz   412092424  (about 400M)
Linux9i_Disk2.cpio.gz   638547208  (about 620M)
Linux9i_Disk3.cpio.gz    82956567  (about 80M)

DO NOT DECOMPRESS AS SPECIFIED ON THE DOWNLOAD PAGE. gunzip Linux9i_Disk1.cpio.gz -> OK
cpio -icdvm < Linux9i_Disk1.cpio.gz gives : cpio: premature end of file

You MUSN'T use the 'c' flag to cpio and it works well. Note that if you are short on space and if you have copied the .gz files to a CD

  gunzip -c /mnt/cdrom/Linux9i_Diskn.cpio.gz | cpio -idvm

should work well too.

Space required by the uncompressed distribution (K):

$ du -ks Disk1

447168 Disk1
$ du -sk Disk2

626340 Disk2
$ du -sk Disk3

83972 Disk3

 As the bulk of the distribs is made of already compressed files (such as .jar) there is not much of a difference between compressed and uncompressed.

To install you need between 1.6 and 1.8G (additional to the 'staging' space above). I had to sacrifice the 8.1.7 distrib. Even the 'custom' installation doesn't allow you to 'forget' much of what I tend to consider as useless crap (not a great fan of advanced queuing, among others). I have installed neither the Spatial option nor OEM, but it's about the leaner I could get to.

Beware that you will also need up to 200M under ~oracle/tmp during the install (the installer is kind enough to warn you and pause until you fix, though - solved the problem with a soft link to another partition).

First forgot to shutdown the current 8.1.7  runInstaller (under Disk1) does nothing - no message

Once the 8.1.7 database was shutdown, the installation run without any problem, link included.

About INTERNAL :

$ sqlplus

 SQL*Plus: Release 9.0.1.0.0 - Production on Tue Jun 19 22:54:52 2001

 (c) Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

 Enter user-name: internal
 Enter password:<CR>
 ERROR:
 ORA-09275: CONNECT INTERNAL is not a valid DBA connection

 Enter user-name: sys as sysdba
 Enter password:<CR>
 Connected to an idle instance.

 If you forget to create a link to your init$ORACLE_SID.ora file under $ORACLE_HOME/dbs you get this :

 SQL> startup nomount
 ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel  SQL> exit

(plus a core file). Worked OK with a link to the 8.1.7 init.ora file (nothing really exotic in it though).

Will try to upgrade the 8.1.7 database later (11:30 pm here and not in a mood to spend the night over it).

Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Corporation
Voice: +44 (0) 7050-696-269