RE: OT RE: Database writer

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 10:35:02 -0700

 "The Oracle DBA's Guide to NT"

  Guy Harrison

 Published Spring 1998:

 http://www.oreview.com/9805harr.htm

 ( linked from: http://home.mira.net/~gharriso )

   The architecture of Oracle in an NT environment is somewhat    different [than Unix/etc.] (see Figure 2). Oracle takes advantage    of NT's strong support for threads. In almost all operating    systems, a process is forbidden to access memory belonging to    another process. Threads belonging to the same process, however,    share a common memory address space and are therefore able to    share memory easily.

   On NT, the Oracle instance is implemented as a single NT process.    This process includes threads that implement each of the tasks    required for the instance. Therefore, there is a thread for each    of the background and server tasks plus a two-thread overhead.    Because each thread shares the same memory space, there is no need    to implement the SGA in shared memory; if you implement the SGA    within the instance's process memory, it is available to all    threads within the process.

   Performance tuning principles for Oracle in an NT environment are    fundamentally the same principles that govern Unix tuning.

   There are, however, a few NT-specific considerations:

   Windows NT supports asynchronous I/O; configuring multiple db    writers is not required.

regards,
ep

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu