F45webm memory usage

From: KC <kchan_at_speednet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 03:40:33 -0700

Dear list,

We are Oracle Apps site, one of the
problem we are having is memory leak with f45webm processes. We had 4G of memory on the web server tier where the Form server run, when we run the prtmem command, it reported that 3.5G was used by user (application), using the memps command I can see the private area (I think this is the heap area of the process) of the f45webm is chewing up a lot of memory. We had opened tar with Oracle Support and applied all the patches suggested and also upgrade to the latest Form patchset, nothing seem to bring down the heap size. I further investigated and found something which I couldn't make sense of, I observed the paging rate and scan rate using sar throughout the day, there was not much happening, just a tiny bit of paging activities, if the box is using 3.5G of 4G,  I would expected to see a lot of paging and scanning activities. Is anyone out there have similar problem with f45webm memory usage. I remembered reading something about Oracle server process do not release heap memory when it was done with it, it was up to the OS to reclaim it. In order words, the heap side shown is not really what is being used, sort of like a high water mark. Would the f45webm processes exhibits similar behaviour?? Also the prtmem and memps command, the number they displayed represent virtual or physical memory? I got a feeling is virtual because the total  size included shared as well, but my SA said it is physical memory, any ideal??

KC Received on Wed Jun 06 2001 - 05:40:33 CDT