How to drop unique index

From: CHAN Chor Ling Catherine (CSC) <clchan_at_nie.edu.sg>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 01:43:46 -0700

Hi Gurus,

I tried to drop unique index using "ALTER TABLE table_name DROP UNIQUE
(column_name);" unsuccessfully. How should I drop the unique index ? Please
advise. Thanks.

SQL> SELECT * FROM USER_IND_COLUMNS WHERE TABLE_NAME='SPY_ADHOC_PAYMENT';

INDEX_NAME                     TABLE_NAME                     COLUMN_NAME
------------------
U_SPYADH_2                     SPY_ADHOC_PAYMENT              STDNAME

SQL> SELECT INDEX_NAME,TABLE_OWNER,TABLE_NAME,UNIQUENESS FROM USER_INDEXES WHERE TABLE_NAME='SPY_ADHOC_PAYMENT';

INDEX_NAME               TABLE_OWNER                    TABLE_NAME
UNIQUENES
------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------
--------
U_SPYADH_2               SPY                            SPY_ADHOC_PAYMENT
UNIQUE SQL> ALTER TABLE SPY.SPY_ADHOC_PAYMENT DROP UNIQUE (STDNAME); ALTER TABLE SPY.SPY_ADHOC_PAYMENT DROP UNIQUE (STDNAME)
                                               *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02442: Cannot drop nonexistent unique key

SQL> ALTER TABLE SPY.SPY_ADHOC_PAYMENT DROP CONSTRAINT U_SPYADH_2; ALTER TABLE SPY.SPY_ADHOC_PAYMENT DROP CONSTRAINT U_SPYADH_2

                                                  *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02443: Cannot drop constraint - nonexistent constraint

Regds,
New Bee

                Author: Manivannan.M
                  INET: manivannan.m_at_tatainfotech.com

                Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858)
538-5051
                San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access /
Mailing Lists

You may
                also send the HELP command for other information (like
subscribing).
Author: CHAN Chor Ling Catherine (CSC)
  INET: clchan_at_nie.edu.sg