Re: How to drop unique index

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 08:32:45 -0700

that's not dropping a unique index, that's dropping a column!

to drop an index:

drop index <indexname>;

doesn't matter if it is unique or not.

If you are trying to drop a unique constraint, that's different.

first find the name of the unique constraint on that table"

select constraint_name from user_constraints where constraint_type='U';

will give you all the unique constraints on that table.

If there is more than one unique constraint, check in user_cons_columns to match the column to the constraint.

Then you can

alter table <tablename> drop constraint <constraintname>;

Rachel

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com