Re: Capacity Planning.

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 10:19:09 -0700

For starters, you are going to require some information from the project manager/developers/users or whoever is driving the project.

Avg # of users simultaneously connected
Avg # of transactions
Avg transaction size

Desired average response time. This should really be part of a Service Level Agreement.

You will need this information to make any kind of meaningful estimate of the CPU power and memory requirements.

A good site to visit for a CPU capacity planning tool is www.orapub.com. There you will find an MS Excel workbook that uses queuing theory to help determine the proper number of CPU's, and the percentage of utilization .

Practical capacity planning dictates that your system should utilize have a 70% maximum CPU utilization under normal load, though I prefer the margin of error that 60% provides.

Determining memory requirements is much easier. On top of your estimated SGA size, add 15 meg of RAM for each user session, this has been my observation for Oracle 8i. Though a session may only use 8-10 meg, I would rather have more memory than immediately necessary than not enough. The 16 meg was observed on a DW with a SORT_AREA_SIZE of 5 meg.

Memory utilization per user can be affected by a few other things: With parallel query, multiply the 15 meg by degree of parallelization. SORT_AREA_SIZE will affect this as well.

Once again, you will need those transaction numbers to do any of this. If it is a 3rd party app, they should already have some kind of worksheet to aid in all this.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com