Re: ....A drop schema script ??

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 16:01:47 -0700

Luis,

Don't feel bad, this is a valid question.

DROP USER CASCADE is not always the most efficient way to drop a user, especially a user with a large number of objects.

I've had that command fail a number of times, and had to rerun it until I decided there must be a better way.

DROP USER CASCADE can generate a *lot* of recursive SQL, and therefore can take a very long time. It also eats up system resources at a prodigious rate.

I've found that when dropping a schema owner, it's much easier to drop their objects individually, then drop the user.

e.g.

spool '_dropscott.sql'

select 'drop ' || object_type || ' scott.' || object_name ||

        decode(object_type, 'TABLE', ' cascade constraints;',';') from dba_objects
where object_type in ('TABLE','PACKAGE','PROCEDURE','FUNCTION') and owner = 'SCOTT';

spool off
@_dropscott.sql
drop user scott cascade;

I still include the 'cascade' on drop user to pick up any objects not included in the above list.

Works for me, YMMV.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com