RE: OFA and SAN - Why not group all db files on its own mount poi

From: Koivu, Lisa <lkoivu_at_qode.com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 04:42:30 -0700

Hi Mike,

If you are running EMC hardware, there are several utilities you can use to determine if EMC's cache is performing up to par.  There are also utilities to alleviate any i/o contention that may appear if the EMC cache does not take care of i/o problems.  I can't tell you exactly what they are though, the sysadmins used them, not me.  I've worked in two places where we ran EMC hardware (symmetrix) and was told it should not make a difference if you follow the standard or not from an i/o point of view.  However, I just couldn't get over the thought that "i/o will never be a problem".

Add to it I've heard contradicting stories from EMC support staff, in MN and here in FL.  I think there is still merit to mapping all the way back into the physical controllers in the symmetrix, but it's a royal pain in the behind.  When the EMC guy talked through it, it was difficult for me to follow.  I still have the documentation but I couldn't tell you exactly what it meant.  (I am not an SA !!)  It's a lot of work for what little performance boost you may see.

If you are interested in seeing this tuning software (I'm not talking about Precise/SQL DBTuner, it's lower level than that) I'd suggest contacting your EMC support staff.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but I can tell you I've set up databases both ways (OFA and not) and haven't experienced huge i/o problems.

Lisa Rutland Koivu
Oracle Database Administrator
Certified Self-Important Database Deity
Slayer of Unix Administrators
Wanton Kickboxing Goddess

lkoivu_at_qode.com

 NeoMedia

2201 Second St., Suite 600
Fort Myers, FL 33901, USA
Phone: 941-337-3434
Fax: 941-337-3668

www.neom.com <http://www.neom.com>
www.paperclick.com <http://www.paperclick.com>
www.qode.com <http://www.qode.com>

P a p e r C l i c k . c o m <http://www.paperclick.com/home.htm>

 Enter Your PaperClick Code Here!

Author: Lanteigne, Mike

  INET: MLanteigne_at_edc-see.ca
Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).