RE: OFA and SAN - Why not group all db files on its own mount poi

From: Lanteigne, Mike <MLanteigne_at_edc-see.ca>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 05:02:31 -0700

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the response. The SAN is very new here. Our first test server is supposed to be hooked up to it this week. After that we start to play. I will look into the tuning software for EMC, however from the meetings I've been to, it looks like we'll (the DBA group) have little say in the SAN setup, including "..mapping all the way back into the physical controller..". Too bad, that sounded like fun.

The only drawback I see about equating a mount point to a database instance is that new mount points will have to be created for each new database. No big deal in the static production environment, however could be a pain in dev and test (assuming I follow the same strategy in these environments). In fact, I have no idea how I'd even make a mount point, or allocate storage to it? (SAN PFM I guess).

Thanks again

Mike

Author: Lanteigne, Mike
  INET: MLanteigne_at_edc-see.ca